[Air-L] Subcultures and virtual communities

Eloise Tan eloise.tan at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 16 10:12:25 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm researching  youth subcultures - specifically hip hop - and virtual communities. I'm looking at how  youth in subcultures like hip hop are engaging on-line around any aspect of hip hop subculture such as the music, fashion, videos, graffiti, breakdancing. One of the big questions I'm asking is if and how online involvement is challenging authenticity and identity within youth subcultures.

Does anybody know of any research that would be related?

Eloise Tan

An unlikely scholar http://freire.education.mcgill.ca/blog/182

Ph.D. student
Dept. of Integrated Studies in Education
McGill University