[Air-L] Metaphors in Technology

Sam Ladner samladner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 13:17:13 PDT 2008

Hi Gordon,

What a great topic! Another famous metaphor is the file folder / filing
cabinet to indicate a files/server directories.

You may know about the use of "mental models" or metaphors in Web
interaction design. In my professional work, we use them frequently.

check out:
http://www.rosenfeldmedia.com/books/alignment/blog/moviegoer_alignment_diagram/

there are tons and tons of mental models used on different web design
projects. I'd search at Boxes and Arrows, an IA professional site, for even
more examples. Further, there are great books on the topic of mental models
for software and web design.

Cheers,
-s.

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Gordon Carlson <gordycarlson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am working on a project dealing with the use of metaphor in
> communication about technology, as well as communication within
> software.  I am trying to compile a list of metaphors used on the web
> and in computer software.  For example, the "shopping cart" in online
> shopping, PowerPoint using "slides", "dialog" boxes in operating
> systems, "bulletin boards", etc.
>
> Have any of you come across or perhaps even thought of other metaphors
> employed in software, online or off, or in communication about
> technology?  I would like to make a giant list of examples.
>
> Also, any recommended readings would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>

> -Gordon Carlson
> -University of Illinois at Chicago
> -PhD Student of New Media Communication and RA in Electronic Visualization
> Lab

~~~~~
Sam Ladner, PhD
Sociologist