[Air-L] Metaphors in Technology

Jason Mittell jmittell at middlebury.edu
Sun Jun 8 15:49:28 PDT 2008

Gordon,

If you're interested in work exploring metaphors of older
technologies (and can stand a little self-promotion), I wrote an
essay years ago that might be of interest: “The Cultural Power of an
Anti-Television Metaphor: Questioning the ‘Plug-in Drug’ and a TV-
Free America,” Television and New Media, 1: 2, May 2000, 215-238.
(Downloadable at my website below). That essay was greatly inspired
by Janice Radway's excellent piece, "Reading is not Eating: Mass-
Produced Literature and the Theoretical, Methodological, and
Political Consequences of a Metaphor," Book Research Quarterly, #2,
1986, 7-29. Both might be useful as models to update for your study
of online metaphors.

Good luck,
-Jason

--
Jason Mittell, Associate Professor of American Studies and Film &
Media Culture