[Air-L] Research Participation Request

Richard G. Bush bush at ltu.edu
Sun Jun 8 16:21:10 PDT 2008

I am writing the list to request your help in getting the word out about our
research study.  We are hoping that you will help us by encouraging your
online and blended classroom students to take our survey.  The following is
our abstract:

ABSTRACT

The purpose of this study is to examine and determine the extent to which
the Community of Inquiry, and specifically the dimensions of teaching
presence, exists in blended and online courses, and suggest methods for
improving teaching presence.  The Community of Inquiry model (Garrison et
al., 1999) aims to investigate how written language used in computer
conferencing activities promotes critical and higher-order thinking.
Research on this model suggests successful learning experiences occur in a
"community of inquiry" environment composed of instructors and students who
effectively demonstrate critical thinking, interpersonal and interaction
skills in the classroom.  Furthermore, the model assumes that valuable
learning in online and blended courses is a function of the interaction
between social presence, cognitive presence and three dimensions of teaching
presence - design and organization, facilitating discourse, and direct
instruction (Arbaugh 2007).  The current study, while ongoing, reveals
significant relationships were found between social, cognitive and teaching
factors in participants who were very likely to take an online course in the
future.  The current study will collect information over the next year,
ending May 2009.

Our survey can be found and taken at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Kr_2bg9rB5uU3hnqXkcB0kpQ_3d_3d