[Air-L] Ethics of in disiplines that do not traditionally seek IRB approval

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Sat Mar 15 14:22:27 PDT 2008

Today as I was checking a quote from Couser's "Vulnerable Subjects:
Ethics and Life Writing" I was reminded of our recent discussion of
IRB's and ethics, particular the mention of disciplines that do not
routinely seek IRB approval for their work.  Couser raises many of the
same issues discussed here, though in terms linked to his work studying
life writing.  The book is a recommended read for anyone who makes the
comparison between internet research and traditional studies of say
novels or autobiographies.  Some will find his discussion of "harming"
and "wronging" of particular interest.

Reference List

Couser, G. Thomas (2004). Vulnerable Subjects: Ethics and Life Writing.
Ithaca NY: Cornell University Press.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com