[Air-L] Resources on On-Line Dating and SMS Language

Gordon Carlson gordycarlson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:15:14 PST 2008

Hi There,

Obviously not all will apply but these are some I found interesting when
looking into something similar:

Bugeja, M. J.  (2006).  Facing the Facebook.  *Chronicle of Higher
Education.*  52(21).  C1-C4.

Farrell, E.  (2006).  Judging Roommates by Their Facebook Cover.  *Chronicle
of Higher Education*.  53(2).  66.

Lemeul, J.  (2006).  Why I Registered on Facebook.  *Chronicle of Higher
Education.*  53(2).  113.

Lin, C., Sun, Y., Lee, Y., Wu, S.  (2007).  How Instant Messaging Affects
the Satisfaction of Virtual Interpersonal Behavior of Taiwan Junior High
School Students.  *Adolescence*.  42(166).  417-430.

Maushak, N. J., Ou, C.  (2007).  Using Synchronus Communication to
Facilitate Graduate Students' Online Collaboration.  *Quarterly Review of
Distance Education.*  8(2).  161-169.

Whiteman, E.  (2007).  Just Chatting: Research Ethics and Cyberspace.
*International
Journal of Qualitative Methods*.  6(2).  1-9.

-Gordon Carlson
-PhD Student, RA
-University of Illinois at Chicago
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Andrew Herman <aherman at wlu.ca> wrote:

> Friends-
>
> I have two 4th year undergraduates who are doing term research projects on
> online dating and the grammar (broadly construed) of SMS and its effect on
> "communication skills" of Gen Y.  Any suggestions on where to turn for
> either theporetical or empirical analysis into tthes topics would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
> Associate Professor
> Department of Communication Studies