[Air-L] Online research ethics

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Fri Mar 7 08:15:19 PST 2008

I agree and I disagree.  If you are making inferences about
academia...an institution with people and infrastructure, etc...then I
totally agree.  However, if you are using the text to get at
information about bloggers as a collective...then I don't agree.  I
would also disagree if your inferences were toward people as
academics...but that might be personal too.  *w*

I think one could do citation analysis without IRB approval...though I
don't know the actual history of that form of research...because the
real unit of analysis is the citation.  What I see happen most often in
these discussion is that the online presence of text, pics, etc is
being used as an access point to
infer about the humans using the technology...that's human subjects
research because the real unit of analysis is the person not the online
text, pics, whatever.  The online content is an access point to gather
information about the people.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com