[Air-L] IRBs

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Sun Mar 9 18:34:05 PDT 2008

I've been on an IRB at various levels and at various types of
institutions for well over a decade, so I've followed the news about
them and heard of the results of many of their deliberations. Based
on that experience, it is not far off the mark to say that many of
them are making up their own rules. Sure, they have to deal with
unanticipated circumstances. However, I would be rich if I had a
nickel for every time I heard of an IRB requiring the gathering of
signatures on informed consent forms from subjects in experiments
that posed no risk to the subjects except the risk of being
identified with the experiment through the signing of an informed
consent form--a situation that the OHRP explicitly cites as one in
which informed consent forms should not be collected. If that ain't
making rules up, I don't know what is.
--Christian Nelson