[Air-L] "Libraries, Community Technology Centers, and Chicago" (conference)

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:12:26 PDT 2008

Forwarded on request.

hk

****************

"Libraries, Community Technology Centers, and Chicago: Building and
Serving our Communities"
Thursday and Friday, April 3-4, 2008
At Dominican University in River Forest, Illinois, outside Chicago
Free with advance registration
http://www.cii.uiuc.edu/echicago

This year's theme brings together professionals from two strong
community-serving institutions -- libraries and community tech centers
-- to compare and connect. We'll also hear from many of those defining
the local environment socially, politically, and technologically.
Questions of the day include:

. How have libraries and CTCs served our communities' technology needs
and what are our current tasks?
. How can we better understand ethnic Chicago?
. What are our young people doing with new technology?
. What does e-government mean for Chicago?
. How are we training librarians and CTC staff?

Join lively discussions of these questions at the second annual eChicago
symposium featuring these speakers:

Karen Danczak Lyons, Chicago Public Library (Thursday evening, with
buffet)
Shireen Mitchell, CTCNET and Digital Sistas (Friday morning)

And others including:

Abdul Alkalimat, University of Illinois
Dan Bassill, TutorMentor Cabrini Connection
Willie Cade, Computers for Schools
Ryan Croke, State of Illinois
Jon Gant, University of Illinois
Ray Hanania, Hanania.com
Adrian Kok, Dominican University
Shanshan Lan, Northwestern University
Jim Madigan, Oak Park Public Library
Fran Roehm, Skokie Public Library
George Reese, XO Laptop Project, University of Illinois
Don Samuelson, DSSA, Inc.
Avigail Snir, XO Laptop Project, University of Illinois
Diane Velasquez, Dominican University
Roberta Webb, Chicago Public Library

Hope to see you there!

Kate Williams, University of Illinois, and Chris Hagar, Dominican
University, co-chairs
http://www.cii.uiuc.edu/echicago

--
Kim Schmidt | Associate Director for Communications
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493
kimsch at uiuc.edu