[Air-L] CFP: HICSS 42 : Social Networks and Virtual Worlds for Work, Learning, and Play

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 4 13:33:35 PST 2008

I'd like to encourage AoIRers to consider this HICSS minitrack I am chairing. I
think it is well suited to the interests of us all on this list.

Please contact me or any of my co-organizers if you have questions about this
minitrack. Full papers due June 15th.  (Please note HICSS does not extend
deadlines).

-----------
Call for Papers

*Social Networks and Virtual Worlds for Work, Learning, and Play*
Minitrack in the *Internet and the Digital Economy Track*
Forty-Second Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences (HICSS-42).

Our online ways and means of connecting with others and maintaining ties for
everyday life, community, work, learning and play are changing dramatically
with the increasing adoption and use of social networking applications such as
Facebook, MySpace, etc., immersive worlds such as Second Life, and more
comprehensive online support environments such as collaboratories, virtual
communities, and online communities of practice. These new settings provide
the infrastructure for new patterns of connectivity, new ways of working,
learning and playing with known and unknown others, locally and globally
distributed, with common and diverse cultural experiences.

This minitrack for HICSS 42 calls for papers that address the design, analysis,
theory, review, experiments and/or observation of social networks, virtual
communities, and virtual worlds in the contexts of work, school, home,
community, and play. Papers from all methodological approaches are welcome,
including design and user studies, quantitative and qualitative research, and
theoretical work. Interdisciplinary work is particularly encouraged. All papers
should be well grounded in the literature, present original work, and make a
substantial addition to the literature in this area.

Examples of topics for this minitrack include, but are not limited to the
following:

•	Online communities: organizational, group and individual behavior
•	Design for online networks and communities
•	E-learning: structures, implementation, and practices
•	Interaction between the off-line and online community
•	Online gaming: design, economics, behavior
•	Collaborative work, learning or gaming online
•	Peer-to-peer or mobile services for virtual communities
•	Case studies and topologies of online communities
•	Theoretical models of virtual worlds
•	Business and organizational models of virtual worlds
•	Economic behaviors in virtual worlds, and game economies
•	Synergies and conflicts between real and virtual worlds
•	Identity in virtual worlds
•	Interface design for social networking, virtual worlds, virtual communities
•	Social networking agents
•	Anti-social behavior, online addiction, predatory behavior online
•	Legal and ethical issues of virtual worlds
•	Privacy and security issues in online networks

IMPORTANT DATES:

Abstracts (optional): April 15, 2008
Full Paper Submission: June 15, 2008

All papers must conform to HICSS formatting standards:
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_42/authorinstruction.htm

Please contact any of the organizers with questions about submissions to this
minitrack. Abstracts may be sent to any of the organizers.

Caroline Haythornthwaite (haythorn at uiuc.edu), Graduate School of Library and
Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Karine Barzilai-Nahon (karineb at u.washington.edu), The Information School,
University of Washington

Paul Benjamin Lowry (Paul.Lowry.PhD at gmail.com), Information Systems
Department, Kevin Rollins Center for e-Business, Marriott School, Brigham
Young

Ian MacInnes (IMacInne at syr.edu), School of Information Studies, Syracuse
University

Caroline Haythornthwaite
Associate Professor
Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
501 East Daniel St., Champaign IL 61820