[Air-L] Online research ethics

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Fri Mar 7 07:28:02 PST 2008

Alecea Standlee wrote:
> Dear List Members,
>
> I was hoping I could get some feedback on an ethical
> issue that I am trying to work through with my
> dissertation commitee...

Alecea,
	You've already received a lot of great advice. What I've found amazing
is that many of the people responding have neglected to mention that
they are members of the AoIR Ethics Committee, which exists to help
people address questions such as yours.

The Ethics document, already mentioned above, and the Ethics Committee
members, can be very helpful in dealing with your IRB, and as has been
noted, in the U.S. it really doesn't matter what your dissertation
committee says, the bottom line is what the IRB or HSRB will approve.

I won't add much other than a plug for a book I edited awhile back:
Online Social Research: Methods, Issues, and Ethics (Digital Formations
Series, Vol. 7 – Steve Jones, Series Editor) Edited by Mark D. Johns,
Shing-Ling Sarina Chen, and G. Jon Hall, Peter Lang Publishers, New York
© 2004 ISBN 0-8204-6101-6

Nick Jankowski has already noted his book, which is a little newer and a
bit cheaper (it's hard to beat "free!").

There's lots of literature and lots of help available, so I'm glad you
asked!
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of the