[Air-L] avatar research ethics

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Sat Mar 8 05:02:35 PST 2008

The puppet/puppeteer analogy is an interesting one. Indeed, what if
one were studying a puppet? Would human subjects approval be
necessary? Where does one draw the line? The study of the puppet,
inert, we might presume to not be study of a human subject (although
maybe the puppet is in some way an "artifact" representing its maker
and one would be required to have human subjects approval?). The study
of the puppet as a "medium" for interaction with the puppeteer we
might presume to be study of a human subject (that is, a study of the
puppeteer via the puppet) but a) to what degree, if at all, does the
puppet "represent" the puppeteer? and b) what if the puppet had some
agency of its own? Then there's the study of the puppet engaged in a
play. Perhaps the play is entirely scripted, perhaps it is entirely
improvised, or it is somewhere in-between. Is the study in any case
human subjects research?

Sj