[Air-L] online research ethics

Rhiannon Bury rcbury at rogers.com
Wed Mar 12 15:07:02 PDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: David Brake <d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk>

...It is true that (non-friend/password protected) bloggers
are making their material available to be read. But in my own
interviews (with 22 personal webloggers) their imagined and desired
relationships with readers varied widely and a few of them said they
had no intention to be read by anyone else when they started. We need
to leave room for the people we study to fool themselves on issues
like this (one of the central points of my upcoming thesis in fact!)

Hmm, I don't believe that they are being totally honest with you or themselves, David. They may not have  *expected* anyone to read it, (so many blogs, so little time), but if they didn't secretly *hope* to find some sort of audience, they wouldn't have set up a networked blog in the first place. Sounds like a face-saving kind of statement to me. In any case, I'd like to hear more at some point.

Rhiannon