[Air-L] Science 2.0 / The-New-Networking-Nexus

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sun Mar 16 11:26:02 PDT 2008

***Apologies for Receipt of Duplicate Postings***
Colleagues/

This weekend I posted profiles of Two Great Articles That I Hope Will Be Of Interest

/Gerry

SciAm: Science 2.0: Great New Tool, or Great Risk?
Wikis, blogs and other collaborative web technologies could usher in a new era of science. Or not / M. Mitchell Waldrop

The explosively growing World Wide Web has rapidly transformed retailing, publishing, personal communication and much more. Innovations such as e-commerce, blogging, downloading and open-source software have forced old-line institutions to adopt whole new ways of thinking, working and doing business.

Science could be next. A small but growing number of researchers--and not just the younger ones--have begun to carry out their work via the wide-open blogs, wikis and social networks of Web 2.0. And although their efforts are still too scattered to be called a movement--yet--their experiences to date suggest that this kind of Web-based "Science 2.0" is not only more collegial than the traditional variety, but considerably more productive.

[MORE]

Links and Links Available At

[ http://scholarship20.blogspot.com/2008/03/science-20.html ]

The-New-Networking-Nexus

Nature: The New Networking Nexus / Virginia Gewin
A crop of websites is making networking among scientists easier than ever

Compared with crafting computational expertise or sharpening gene-splicing skills, networking is one talent many scientists are slow to hone. Luckily, a crop of new websites is encouraging even the most reclusive researchers to rendezvous with colleagues without leaving the lab.

The success of social-networking websites such as MySpace, Facebook and LinkedIn shows the power of the Internet not only to cultivate, but to capitalize on, friendships. Although online networks may seem impersonal, they can do something for scientists that a handshake cannot: highlight common research interests without leaving the comfort of your desk. Say goodbye to name tags and awkward introductions - say hello to profiles and blogs. In the search for jobs, mentors, collaborators or data, these cyber-social mixers are revealing new ways to gain career advice, create collaborations and share resources

[ http://scitechnet.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-networking-nexus.html ]

>BTW: I  Would Much Appreciate Learning of Other Science 2.0 Initiatives As Well As SciTech Online Social Networks<

Thanks!

And

Happy St. Patrick's Day From A True Irishman [:-)
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick ]

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]