[Air-L] Information, Communication & Society

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 19 07:17:55 PDT 2008

Dear AoIR-niks,

With great pride, we announce the first special AOIR issue of
_Information, Communication and Society__. Edited by veteran AOIR members
Caroline Haythornthwaite and me, but written by YOU.

The articles in this issue are based on papers presented to the last AOIR
conference.

The Table of Contents is below, and the editors' intro talks about how the
papers got to land between the covers.

In addition to the quality, we're especially pleased about the diversity.
As you can tell a paper from its title, you'll see a variety of topics,
methods, disciplines and nationalities.

Just as a teaser -- and this time of the year I do think of the Holy Land
-- the first article tells about how Arab Palestinian-Israeli young men
give their young women friends mobile phones, but use a number of means to
ensure that these women use the phones to talk only to them.

Happy reading. Hard copy out soon.
 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue          Room 418          Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-7162
  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days