[Air-L] Online research ethics - SL

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Fri Mar 7 21:42:21 PST 2008

Do avatars really "want," Radhika?

Actually this is a very important discussion...the layers that must be
sorted through ethically.  So many social utility sites now have ToS'
that preclude much or all research...individuals in the site may tag
themselves as not wishing to be researched...and participants may
refuse to be research subjects if asked.  How do we sort out what is in
and what is out of the research we do...gotta love complexity to be an
internet researcher because heaven knows we are surrounded by
complexity.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com