[Air-L] avatar research ethics

dtoews at uwindsor.ca dtoews at uwindsor.ca
Mon Mar 10 08:32:25 PDT 2008

thanks for the opportunity to clarify, and i guess add to my point:

(context: i was distinguishing between puppets and avatars and I said
puppets don't interact with other puppets...)

it occurs to me that technically, of course, this is not true, puppets
interact with other puppets - i'm imagining a puppet show :).  however,
they do so strictly as vehicles of the puppeteers' intentions, or as
vehicles of the puppeteers and/or audience's symbolic interpretations of
those (on stage) interactions.

avatar-to-avatar interaction in SL is distinct from a puppet show.  here i
would want to make a distinction between avatar use in SL, compared to
avatar use in gaming or in disneyfied kids websites

SL avatar interaction is not like a puppet show because it is not a 'show'
in the sense of a definite dramatic performance with a beginning, middle,
and ending.  One avatar has to respond to the other avatar according to
the way the first avatar's human user imagines is the attitude, not of the
second avatar's human user, but of the second avatar, since there is no
way to check the attitudes of the human user without disrupting the
immersive quality of the virtual world.  And adding to the difference from
human-to-human interaction in RL, in SL avatars, of course, compared to
humans have a different repertoire of possible movements and expressions
with different in-built limitations.

So the human user of an avatar has to interpret the meaning of the other
avatar's actions without being able to check the attitudes of the human
user (or at least with an in-built discouragement in the world from doing
so and a drastically-reduced ability to do so) in a context that is
qualitatively different than a human context.  And all of this takes place
in an environment in which it is quite possible for an avatar to be harmed
by another avatar (in the sense of the abilities of one avatar being
somehow impaired by that of another, quite independently of the relative
states of the human users.)

I would say then, ya, there is something very different about the context
of interaction in SL.  If we agree that one avatar can harm another
avatar, and researchers can only research as avatars, then there is indeed
a need for a new kind of ethics protocol for research in SL.

Its a bit of a catch-22 problem to gain research permissions, because we
researchers would first have to develop the theory and practice of SL
research for the ethics to become clear, but we need the ethics
permissions to get started on the research.

I would be interested to know what anyone including those with SL research
experience think about this...
______________________________
Dr. David Toews, PhD
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology
University of Windsor, Canada

If you do not keep the multiplicity of
language-games in view you will
perhaps be inclined to ask
questions like: "What is a question?"
- Wittgenstein

William Bain <willronb at yahoo.com>
Sent by: air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org
03/10/08 04:14 AM
Please respond to
air-l at listserv.aoir.org

air-l at listserv.aoir.org
cc

Subject
[Air-L]  avatar research ethics

David Toews wrote "however, puppets don't interact with other puppets" -
and I ask: what about games like Shame Station? what about experiments
like the "virtual Reprise of the Stanley Miligram Obedience Experiments"?
But my real question is what are avatars, does definition depend on
context - maybe that was clear enough already  :-)

  Best wishes, Will

William Bain
PhD Student
Comparative Literature