[Air-L] online research ethics

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 11:25:10 PDT 2008

On 7 Mar 2008, at 15:25, Charles Ess wrote:

> bloggers by definition want their material to be read

Coming in on this one a bit late and perhaps I am making too much of
what was probably just a passing comment, but I have to take issue
with this. It is true that (non-friend/password protected) bloggers
are making their material available to be read. But in my own
interviews (with 22 personal webloggers) their imagined and desired
relationships with readers varied widely and a few of them said they
had no intention to be read by anyone else when they started. We need
to leave room for the people we study to fool themselves on issues
like this (one of the central points of my upcoming thesis in fact!)

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm

Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)