[Air-L] Internet Use in Public Universities

Emma Duke-Williams emma.dukewilliams at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 08:37:04 PDT 2008

On 18/03/2008, Shrwan Khanal <shrwan1976 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am researching on "Internet Use among the students in Public Universities:
> A case study of University of Zambia". I am basically looking at the factors
> affecting internet use, purpose and knowledge of internet (at the moment two
> major factors Gender and School-hard science vs. art and science). Could any
> one give me some suggestion or information about similar studies done in
> other universities. Situation in other developing countries would be
> appreciable. Looking for your cooperation.

I guess you've already looked at the wealth of information they've got on
http://www.elearning-africa.com/ and http://www.col.org/colweb/site -
which cover a fair chunk of the majority world between them. I've
recently been reading an article (at home & I'm not) about Women & IT
use in the US; basically it was saying that women tend to
underestimate their ability to use the net, though testing seemed to
show that they were just the same as men. However, if people don't
think they can use something, they're probably less inclined to use
it. The study was done in 2002 I think, but not published till 2006,
so a few things to look out for. You may already have that report! Let
me know if you want more details & I'll dig it out.

Emma

--
Emma Duke-Williams:
School of Computing/ Faculty eLearning Co-ordinator.