[Air-L] Fw: avatar research ethics

Rhiannon Bury rcbury at rogers.com
Sun Mar 9 11:45:09 PDT 2008

From: Rhiannon Bury <rcbury at rogers.com>
To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
Sent: Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:42:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Air-L] avatar research ethics

From: jcu <jcu at execulink.com>
To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
Sent: Saturday, March 8, 2008 8:42:47 PM

like
research
has
become
target
practice
me.

Me again:

The metaphor I chose was probably not the best; I'm not suggesting that we lurk about in online forums or in SL ready to "pounce" on unsuspecting participants just because we can! Obviously, there has to be a set of research questions that inform the decision to study a particular set of interactions, identities, communities.

We don't go through the Ethics Review process to be "decent" to our subjects. It is a quasi-legal process (the legal beagles might want to jump in here) that offers the subjects, the researcher and the institution certain protections and responsibilities. Of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be "decent" to our subjects. :) Feminist  methodologies are all about addressing unequal power relationships between researcher and researched etc.

My point is that not all research that studies online communication involves human subjects in a direct enough way to issue a formal contract.
 Not all research even constructs the producer of certain utterances as a "human subject". I don't have to ask a published author permission to analyze their writing and copyright law allows me to quote passages directly within limits. I understand that this is not necessary a clear or fixed distinction with CMC. Certainly grad students or people early in their research career shouldn't be making these decisions in isolation. Upthread, Ted offered good advice for that context: ask your board, ask your Chair and ask the internet research community!

And for the record, I have no problem with the paparazzi. ;)

Rhiannon