[Air-L] Use of Facebook for Library Instruction?

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sun Mar 9 13:42:25 PDT 2008

***Apologies for Receipt of Duplicate Postings***
Friends/

On Monday, April 7 2008, I will deliver a presentation at the Spring Meeting of the American Chemical Society
in New Orleans as part of a Symposium on  _Using Social Networking Tools to Teach Chemistry_

[ http://oasys2.confex.com/acs/235nm/techprogram/S24696.HTM ].

The presentation is titled

"Being there: Using social networking services for engaged library instruction"

Gerry McKiernan, gerrymck at iastate.edu, Library, Iowa State University, 152 Parks, Ames, IA 50011

At colleges and universities today, a significant portion of students are members of Facebook (http://www.facebook.com), the online social networking service. Beginning in Summer 2007, we initiated a series of outreach projects using Facebook to directly promote Library programs and services to select members of the ISU community. These initiatives sought to inform students and faculty not only about the availability of core services offered by the reference and instruction department (e.g., book and journal selection, library presentations, research assistance) but also about the general library services provided by the library (e.g., interlibrary loan, library collections, reserve and media services).

This presentation will report on the results of these projects and describe future outreach plans. In addition, the general nature of Facebook, and its current and potential use by educators will be reviewed. The presentation will conclude with a brief overview of key readings and Web resources about online social networks.

[ http://oasys2.confex.com/acs/235nm/techprogram/P1163149.HTM ]

I Would Most Appreciate Learning of Any/All  OTHER Uses of _The Facebook Environment_ for Any/All Forms of _Library Instruction_ for Possible Inclusion In My ACS Presentation.

>>>Please Make Any/All Comments In My Blog Entry Located At<<<

[ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/03/social-networking-services-for-engaged.html ]

BTW: There is a Global Facebook Group devoted to _Classroom Instruction in Facebook_

Description: Classroom Instruction in Facebook is a global umbrella Facebook group devoted to libraries that use Facebook to complement and/or supplement formal library class instruction sessions. A particular focus of the group is the use of Facebook in association with basic library skills courses.

[ http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2416166855 ]

Thanks For Your Assistance!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/  ]