[Air-L] Taxonomy of Social Network Services

Katri Lietsala katri.lietsala at uta.fi
Wed Mar 12 05:03:15 PDT 2008

Hello

My colleague Esa Sirkkunen and I have defined social media genres at the
University of Tampere and included social network sites as one of the
genres. Comments and feedback appreciated. The list is so not perfect,
but the best we have been able to accomplish so far.

* Social media genres*

1. Content creation and publishing tools
  - Blogs (includes also microblogging)
   - Wikis
   - Podcasts
 2. Content sharing sites (Flickr, YouTube, Del.icio.us, Ideawicket etc)
 3. Social network sites (facebook, Orkut, LinkedIn etc.)
 4. Collaborative productions (Wikipedia, OhMyNews, Blufton Today, Star
Wreck)
 5. Virtual worlds (Second Life)
 6. Open interface applications

There is also possibility to continue/follow discussion from the Some
Lab blog (Finnish social media researchers)
http://www.somelab.fi/somelab/2008/03/12/social_media_genres_to_ponder.
The genre list will be part of our research report Participatory
economy. The report will be published before summer (pdf, free download)
and also as a wiki to continue the research. If you are interested to
contribute more, feel free to contact me. We especially look for other
projects, research groups or authors to participate in presenting some
milestones or highlights of the social media history of their own country.

With regards
Katri Lietsala
Parteco project