[Air-L] avatar research ethics

Kristin Lindsley kristin.lindsley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 16:44:06 PST 2008

Well, I can think of a few situations in which this is an issue. I'm
hesitant to give too many details for fear of causing someone further
embarrassment, but I do know someone who was quoted in a published,
peer-reviewed piece of research and identified by avatar name, which gave me
(and plenty of other people) enough information to identify the "real
person" behind the avatar. Anyone who can Google could have done the same,
and it was not a flattering quotation! I teased him about it as a friend,
but I'm sure some people were less kind! It's a bit like saying quoting Mark
Twain is sufficient to make Samuel Clemens anonymous, I suppose.

Even if that wasn't the case, I always further anonymize avatars and online
handles in my work because using them is a threat to online identity as much
as "real identity". Even if no one could associate my offline "real" persona
with my avatar in a MMOG or Second Life or even on a message board, I can
still be impacted by it in major ways. My avatar might not be "real", but
the way other avatars interact with it is a very real part of my
experiences, and things attributed to it are a very real part of my
identity, even if "only" online.

Kristin Lindsley