[Air-L] IRBs

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Mar 10 08:02:58 PDT 2008

There was also a nice ph.d. thesis recently that is linked from the
IRB blog that seems to indicate a bit of arbitrariness, i wouldn't say
they are making of the 'rules' but they are certainly trying to apply
guidelines that may not fit.
On Mar 10, 2008, at 7:57 AM, Mark D. Johns wrote:

> Lois Ann Scheidt wrote:
>> Most - if not all - IRBs in the USA are most definitely NOT making up
>> rules...
>
> Unless you've got some data on that, Lois, I must respectfully
> disagree.
> There is far too much anecdotal evidence suggesting that the guiding
> principle for many, if not most IRBs in the U.S. has shifted from the
> federal guidelines to covering the corporate backside from litigation.
> When the guiding principle shifts, so do the rules.
> --
> Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor and Head of the
>  Department of Communication Studies
> Luther College, Decorah, Iowa USA
> http://academic.luther.edu/~johnsmar/

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu
)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal