[Air-L] IRBs - I am curious

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Mar 11 09:02:15 PDT 2008

I think it has to do with the 'extension' of IRB into arenas where it
did not used to cover.  IRB in the u.s. are now pushing into issues in
the humanities in some cases, and it wasn't that long ago that they
pushed into social sciences.  Many people in the social science are
complaining of 'mission creep' according to the few blogs in this
arena that i've been readings.  I don't think anyone takes issue with
the need for IRB's in many arenas, and that there can be issues of
research ethics and human subjects in other arenas, but when IRB's are
required when one is doing a biography of a living person that is
funded in part by an NSF grant, then... i think people are left
wondering.
On Mar 11, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Lois Ann Scheidt wrote:

> I am curious about an issue that seems to background much of our IRB
> discussions.  As academics we have gone through many years of being
> reviewed/graded...in classes,  with conference proposals, for
> publication, and through grant applications - just to name a few.  In
> every one of those cases our research can be declined for any number
> of
> reasons from flawed protocols to reviewers personal attitudes toward
> us
> or our research.
>
> All of that being said, why do we see IRBs as more of a controlling
> factor on research then say granting entities or publication venues?
>
> Lois Ann Scheidt
>
> Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
> University, Bloomington IN USA
>
> Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN
> USA and
> IUPUC, Columbus IN USA
>
> Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
> Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu
)

wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com