[Air-L] online research ethics

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 12 16:13:30 PDT 2008

On 12-Mar-08, at 6:07 PM, Rhiannon Bury wrote:

> [...]

I blog because first blogs were the next big thing, then because I
like the ease of creating the web pages. On-line journals of 1995
were difficult which is why blogging software companies make money. I
know the audience is the "public" plus the wakos who might do me
harm. So I write without some content that might offend. I rarely
swear on line for instance. But my point my computer log book blog is
really only for me to keep notes on my computers and what I installed
on them last night. I sometimes write the posts thinking of somebody
trying to install the same software so these would be tips for
someone. But unlike many out there I have no money coming in from
blogs. Nor is that my expectation. nor am I trying to do advocacy. At
least not much on whatever of all my various blogs.

One other blog I keep is my school notes. I justify this as a way of
self exploration writing, a way to keep my citations all in one place
and sometimes I use it to set goals like posting "I will have
question 8 marked for 30 papers by 4 am."

So my point that writing can be for one's self should not be ignored.
Sorry I am not a cultures student so do not see everything as a
productive art work in the sense of needing an audience other than
myself.. Also I see the blurring of audience and producer to be multi
facetted.

And I also note your point that there is probably not much of an
audience with so many blogs out there. I also carry an axe for the
use of bloggers as authoritative voices. I do not want to be in that
category.