[Air-L] Second Life/IRC presentation: Avatars Identity and the Expression of Disability

Kathy Mancuso kmancuso at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:25:06 PDT 2008

presented by www.gimpgirl.com, a group for disabled women that meets
weekly on Sundays at 3 PM SLT:

This is an online, international event that will be held in Second
Life, but is accessible to those not on Second Life via IRC chat. See
below for details.

Hosted by JennyLin Arashi and Aleja Asturias:

GimpGirl Community and the Avatar Identity Research Center present:

"Avatars, Identity, and the Expression of Disability"

Rivka Rau is the director of the Avatar Identity Research Center, and
a professor of sociology in real life. The AV-ID Center is the home of
the Editing Appearances project, an interview study of avatar
embodiment and selfhood in SL. Rivka Rau has conducted over 200 hours
of interviews for this project. In addition, through AV-ID she offers
a seminar series on topics related to identity and the SL body. She
will presenting on our current topic of the month, disability identity
on-line, at our Second Life parcel. There will be time for Q & A as
well as general discussion.

Open to the public.

When:
Sunday, March 30th, 2008 from 12:00 - 1:30 PM SLT/Pacific Time (3:00
PM Eastern Time)

Second Life location:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/3DE/139/61/22

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO SECOND LIFE:
You can still attend this presentation online via IRC. To visit our
IRC/Second Life chatroom, go to:
http://chat.on.quickfox.net/GimpGirl

...and choose the option that works best for you.

(If you'd like more information on how IRC works, you can go to:
http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html)

Katherine Mancuso: caped crusader of community art, technology, & disability!
~content manager, web writer, blogger, & designer for hire~

~Social Software Superpowers And Cybernetic Wings~
blog: http://museumfreak.livejournal.com
linkblog: http://del.icio.us/museumfreak
linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kathymancuso
(ask me for IM & gaming contact info)

~Because all superheroines need pink leotards!~
Technology Workgroup Co-Chair, Alternate ROOTS (arts & activism):
http://www.alternateroots.org
Spitzer Dance Company: http://www.spitzerdance.org
Atlanta Contact Improv: http://www.atlantacontact.org