[Air-L] FW: Markle Foundation Invite: Clay Shirky and "Here Comes Everybody"

Verhulst S sverhulst at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 08:00:36 PDT 2008

Perhaps of interest to NYC based subscribers

We are pleased to invite you to a book presentation byClay Shirky
Here Comes EverybodyThe Power of Organizing Without Organizations  Please join us for an innovative and informative look at how the virtual world is changing our real one.The Internet has become an integral part of our personal and professional lives and has transformed the ways in which we connect and collaborate with one another.Clay Shirky's book provides a lucid and penetrating analysis on how technological advances have empowered people to do things together, and how those tools can upend traditional organizational structures to meet people's needs. In an engaging style, Clay Shirky's Here Comes Everybody illustrates how everyday people are taking advantage of new technologies, such as social networking and peer-to-peer applications, to share information, work together, and take public action in the "virtual" world to affect great social transformations in our real one.Please join us in celebrating the publication of this exciting book.

When:
Thursday, April 10, 2008

Time:
5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Where:
The Markle Foundation10 Rockefeller Plaza, 16th FloorBetween 48th & 49th StreetsNew York, New York

5:00 PM
Welcome and Introduction by Zoe Baird, President Markle Foundation

5:15 PM
Discussion: "How do new forms of collaboration, enabled by technology, affect our society?" by Clay Shirky, Author

6:00 PM
Q&A session, followed by Cocktails and Book Signing
To see a copy of the program, click here (PDF, 457K).Books will be available for purchase at the event.
Space is Limited - Please register by Thursday April 3rd at:http://www.markle.org/events/herecomeseverybody/

What Others Are Saying about Here Comes Everybody:

"How do trends emerge and opinions form? The answer used to be something vague about word of mouth, but now it's a highly measurable science, and nobody understands it better than Clay Shirky. In this delightfully readable book, practically every page has an insight that will change the way you think about the era of social media. Highly recommended."

–Chris Anderson, editor in chief of Wired magazine and author of The Long Tail

"Clear thinking and good writing about big changes."

–Stewart Brand

"Clay Shirky may be the finest thinker we have on the internet revolution, but Here Comes Everybody is more than just a technology book; it's an absorbing guide to the future of society itself. Anyone interested in the vitality and influence of groups of human beings from knitting circles to political movements to multinational corporations needs to read this book."

–Steven Johnson, author of Everything Bad Is Good for You and Emergence