[Air-L] Reminder: Tomorrow: Second Life/IRC presentation: Avatars Identity and the Expression of Disability

Kathy Mancuso kmancuso at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:14:27 PDT 2008

> presented by www.gimpgirl.com, a group for disabled women that meets
> weekly on Sundays at 3 PM SLT:
>
> This is an online, international event that will be held in Second
> Life, but is accessible to those not on Second Life via IRC chat. See
> below for details.
>
> Hosted by JennyLin Arashi and Aleja Asturias:
>
> GimpGirl Community and the Avatar Identity Research Center present:
>
> "Avatars, Identity, and the Expression of Disability"
>
> Rivka Rau is the director of the Avatar Identity Research Center, and
> a professor of sociology in real life. The AV-ID Center is the home of
> the Editing Appearances project, an interview study of avatar
> embodiment and selfhood in SL. Rivka Rau has conducted over 200 hours
> of interviews for this project. In addition, through AV-ID she offers
> a seminar series on topics related to identity and the SL body. She
> will presenting on our current topic of the month, disability identity
> on-line, at our Second Life parcel. There will be time for Q & A as
> well as general discussion.
>
> Open to the public.
>
> When:
> Sunday, March 30th, 2008 from 12:00 - 1:30 PM SLT/Pacific Time (3:00
> PM Eastern Time)
>

> Second Life location:
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/3DE/139/61/22
>
> IF YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO SECOND LIFE:
> You can still attend this presentation online via IRC. To visit our
> IRC/Second Life chatroom, go to:
> http://chat.on.quickfox.net/GimpGirl
>
> ...and choose the option that works best for you.
>
> (If you'd like more information on how IRC works, you can go to:
> http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html)

Katherine Mancuso: caped crusader of community art, technology, &
disability!
~content manager, web writer, blogger, & designer for hire~

~Social Software Superpowers And Cybernetic Wings~
blog: http://museumfreak.livejournal.com
linkblog: http://del.icio.us/museumfreak
linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kathymancuso
(ask me for IM & gaming contact info)

~Because all superheroines need pink leotards!~
Technology Workgroup Co-Chair, Alternate ROOTS (arts & activism):
http://www.alternateroots.org
Spitzer Dance Company: http://www.spitzerdance.org
Atlanta Contact Improv: http://www.atlantacontact.org