[Air-L] Book Announcement (Always On: Language in an Online and Mobile World) and Gratitude to AOIR

Naomi Susan Baron nbaron at american.edu
Sun Mar 30 16:49:47 PDT 2008

In the category of shameless promotion ? but also gratitude to AOIR:

My book on the linguistic and social implications of online and mobile
language (Always On) has just come out with Oxford University Press. It?s
written both as a textbook and for the general reader. Here?s the Table of
Contents:

Preface
1.   Email to Your Brain: Language in an Online and Mobile World
2.   Language Online: The Basics
3.   Controlling the Volume: Everyone a Language Czar
4.   Are Instant Messages Speech? The World of IM
5.   My Best Day: Managing ?Buddies? and ?Friends?
6.   Having Your Say: Blogs and Beyond
7.   Going Mobile: Cell Phones in Context
8.   ?Whatever?: Is the Internet Destroying Language?
9.   Gresham?s Ghost: Challenges to Written Culture
10. The People We Become: The Cost of Being Always On

(More info? Go to
http://www.amazon.com/Always-Language-Online-Mobile-World/dp/0195313054/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206459639&sr=1-1
)

In writing the book, I am deeply indebted to friends and colleagues in
AOIR. Here?s what I said in the Preface:

My gratitude?to the Association of Internet Researchers (AOIR). Though
itself a relative newbie (its first conference was in Fall 2000), AOIR has
become an invaluable forum for exchanging ideas about the internet and all
that it entails. AOIR?s conferences are true oases for scholars looking
for serious discussion of topics too new for many university catalogues.
Equally vital is the listserv run by AOIR, which creates a year-round
network of scholarly exchange, without which this book would have been the
poorer.

And it?s all true!