[Air-L] avatar research ethics

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Fri Mar 7 16:41:42 PST 2008

The avatar is an identity unto itself - with a logic and history and
social location in-world in secondlife. If you name the avatar - there
are community formations that link the avatar to various social
contexts - so naming the avatar might lead to tracing the avatar even
"RL" - but even if it does not, secondlifers are very particular about
their avatar privacy as well.

at least this is my perception - I have been in secondlife in various
modes since 2003 - and have encountered many people (including myself)
who identify quite strongly with their avatars in-world - we have
lives there (ridiculous as this may sound) and really just as much as
I would not like my living room to be broadcast online (twittering is
selective - so those of you who see me avidly twittering - dont for a
moment think that's everything that's going on;-)) - I would not like
everything I do on secondlife revealed. But revealing my avatar name
in someone's research will allow for connections to be made.

Having said that - there are many in-character bloggers and those can
probably be used as published texts - again taking all the other
cautionary notes that were said earlier into account.