[Air-L] Does MySpace have a drug-talk policy?

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Mon Mar 10 23:59:11 PDT 2008

Sorta.  It's part of their terms: http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=misc.terms

"MySpace may reject, refuse to post or delete any Content for any or
no reason, including Content that in the sole judgment of MySpace
violates this Agreement or which may be offensive, illegal or violate
the rights of any person or entity, or harm or threaten the safety of
any person or entity."

"Content/Activity Prohibited.... constitutes or promotes information
that you know is false or misleading or promotes illegal activities or
conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;"

This approach is pretty much the industry standard in the U.S.  They
have the right to remove anything that advocates illegal activities.
At the same time, the industry norm is also to ignore most
conversations concerning drugs (especially those questioning the logic
behind the legal statutes and other policy-related debates).  The only
time that I've seen a company act on its policy wrt drugs is when
dealers have set up pages or when people are talking about how to buy
drugs.  When it comes to these things though, there's another policy
that's typically invoked: no right to commercial activity.  In general
though, free speech has typically trumped in this space, but the
companies do try to protect themselves.  That said, most community
managers have the attitude of "if you're so stupid as to talk about
that in a public place, go ahead and do it... it's not us that'll be
down your neck, but those whose punishments are much more severe."  I
have no doubt that companies have been subpoenaed for data concerning
drug-related posts by users.

As for the conversation... to the best of my knowledge, except in the
case of LiveJournal, there's not a big public discussion of these
terms.  At the same time, there are a bunch of us who are regularly
involved in helping the companies develop sane terms that protect
them, while giving users freedom to do as they please (even if that
means legal trouble for them).

danah