[Air-L] Viral email dissemination as a sociological research

Katie Morrissey kem82 at georgetown.edu
Mon May 12 07:53:48 PDT 2008

Hi Taryn,

I did something similar for my masters thesis, but I used a mixture of
internet/email outreach, rather than email alone. For promotional tools, I
created several banner images for blog/web posts and a sample email for
participants to use to promote my survey. This is for a masters thesis, so
emphasis on the "pilot" in pilot study, but the approach was very successful
for me.

One thing you might consider for measuring who is/is not responding-- and
you may already be doing this-- Survey Monkey allows you to create multiple
unique URLs for your survey which you can track. I used those with each
place I posted information about the survey. It isn't the best guide, but it
does allow you to see which outreach attempts are (or are not) more
successful than others.

They also offer some sort of emailing service (the one using addresses you
provide). This may allow you to watch the survey's movement a little more
carefully, but I didn't use it so I'm not quite sure what it really entails.

- Katie

--
"Dishonesty, after all, is just another word for narrative."
-- Judith Halberstam