[Air-L] Reminder - Cybercitizens Conference July 08

John Fenaughty JohnF at Netsafe.org.nz
Mon May 19 17:08:50 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

This is to update you about our NetSafe Conference 08 - Cybercitizens: Risks, Rights and Responsibilities of Participation in the Information Age:

http://www.cybersafety.org.nz/conference08

We're really thrilled to be getting such broad international interest. The list of organisations and countries registered so far is here:

http://www.cybersafety.org.nz/conference08/holder.php?pageID=31&sectionID=Schedule

We wanted to use this opportunity to invite other international delegates to attend. A preliminary schedule is available on the website, but there are still some opportunities for additional proposals. There is also some space in the International Project on Cyberbullying substream.

The Call for Papers closes on the 31st of May.

If you've any questions or feedback feel free to contact me on johnf at netsafe.org.nz.

Cheers!
John

John Fenaughty / Research Manager / NetSafe / p: 09 353 0624 / skype: johnnetsafe / www.netsafe.org.nz

=====================================

NetSafe Conference 08 - Cybercitizens: Risks, Rights, Responsibilities of Participation in the Information Age.

=====================================

NetSafe is pleased to invite you to the stunning winter resort of Queenstown to the first international conference on Cybercitizens: Risks, Rights, and Responsibilities of Participation in the Information Age.

Citizenship is a cornerstone of participation in modern democracies. It is awarded on the basis of meeting specific civic responsibilities.  It affords the citizen the rights to safe passage and protection from unlawful harm.

Although Cyberspace is a virtual space, it is real. Just as citizens in physical territories experience risk, have rights to protection, and need to honour responsibilities, citizens in Cyberspace experience risk, have rights to protection, and need to honour responsibilities.

=====================================

The Conference

=====================================

The NetSafe Conference 08 aims to consider a range of topics relating to the concepts of cybercitizenry and cybersafety. We seek papers, presentations, and workshops on a broad range of topics related to the risks, rights to safety, and responsibilities of citizens in the information age.

We welcome a broad audience, including educators, researchers, industry, web developers, government, and non-government organisations, to collaborate on considering the challenges and opportunities Cyberspace can offer for citizens in the information age.

=====================================

Keynotes

=====================================

Jeff Cole | World Internet Project
Director of the USC Annenberg School Center for the Digital Future - the Home of the World Internet Project.

Ilene Berson | University of South Florida
Associate Professor of Early Childhood Education in the Department of Childhood Education at the University of South Florida (USF).

Michael Berson | University of South Florida
Professor in the Secondary Education Department at the University of South Florida (USF).

Frank Rittman | Motion Picture Association
Regional Vice President and Legal Counsel, Asia-Pacific for the Motion Picture Association.

Youth Panel | International Youth Advisory Congress
New Zealand's teenage participants from IYAC in London will talk about a global charter for young people's online safety and security.

Peter Dengate Thrush | Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
The current Chair of the ICANN board of directors.

Will Gardner | Childnet International
Deputy CEO of Childnet International.

Shaheen Shariff | McGill University
Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Education at McGill University. Principal Investigator on the International Project on Cyberbullying.