[Air-L] Technology and authority: Graduate programs

Brian Wickhem wickhem at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:52:48 PDT 2008

Hello fine scholars and researchers,

I'm currently looking around for Ph.D tracks and scholars for graduate
school (fall '09).  I'm most interested in how new media is being used to
challenge authority: digital music, memes, mobile communications.

After a good amount of research, I created this short list of programs that
seem to be a good fit, thought it might be nice to spread it around for
future students' benefits:

USC (Anneberg School)
UC Davis (Communications)
Northwestern (Media, Technology and Society)
Northwestern (Technology and Behavior Studies)
Washington (Communications)
NYU (Media, Culture, and Communications)
Utah (Communications)
U of Illinois at Chicago (Communications)
Iowa (Communication Studies)
UC San Diego (Communications)
Michigan State (Communications Arts and Sciences)
Cornell (Science and Technology Studies)
Michigan (Communications Studies)
Georgia Tech (Language, Literature, and Communications)
UC Santa Barbara (Communications)
Georgetown (Communication, Culture, and Technolgy)
Rutgers (School of Communication, Information, and Library Studies)
Virginia Tech (Science and Technology Studies)
MIT (MediaLab) (really only a good one if you have experience in
hardware/computer programming, though...)

Anyone have any further suggestions as to where I/others should be looking?

Any further advice would be great...and thanks in advance.  Always look
forward to the daily posts!

Brian Wickhem