[Air-L] Technology and authority: Graduate programs

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 18:03:13 PDT 2008

Dear Brian -

As many researchers have commented previously on this
list, it is not usually paramount WHERE one attends
university, but WHO one works with while there (there
are of course mitigating circumstances in many cases).
In that case, one would look for the foremost academic
"authority on authority" rather than collecting a list
of Schools.

I would name an academic currently working at a
primary centre for Internet Studies in Australia at
Curtin University. Matthew Allen, former President of
AoIR is an authority on authority. Further, I see by
his webpage that he concentrates his efforts currently
on postgraduate (graduate in the US) supervision. That
is a key component of your search - 1) will the bright
academic in question have time to work with you and
your project, and naturally, 2) will they have any
funding available for you to do so?

I am not saying Matthew can answer all your needs, but
here is his website:

http://www.humanities.curtin.edu.au/staff.cfm?
id=MHNPFDd

Otherwise, there are several key academics on the role
of authority. I would name David Lyon and andrew
Feenberg as two very notable academics in this area,
although I am not aware of their supervisory
capacities at present. There are doubtless many more.

To address your other issue, mobile communication -
Marcus Foth, also on the AoIR board, has done much
work on mobile communications, and he is located at
the Queensland University of Technology (also in
Australia).

http://www.vrolik.de/

Good luck in your search!

Denise N. Rall

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Internationalisation Project Officer
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Office: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Presenter, Internet Research 9.0, 15-18 October 2008, Copenhagen, DK

www.yahoo7.com.au/mail