[Air-L] Technology and authority: Graduate programs

M. Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Fri May 23 18:50:26 PDT 2008

I would caution against picking a school based on the people teaching
there; with the academic climate as it is, professors are moving from
school to school and even completely out of academia in large numbers.

I started my graduate program where I did because I was *in love with*
the work of five wonderful scholars who were there; three years after I
started, four of them were gone or leaving.  My entire research agenda
had to be rewritten three times before I could take my comprehensives
because I didn't want to "follow" the one teacher I could have followed
to a new program.
It's coming up on ten years now and I'm still not done, but should
finish in the fall.

I don't believe there's any good way to pick a program; I think the best
advice is just do your grad work as quickly as possible, whatever gets
you done, and then get out to do the work you love.  If I'd done that,
I'd be home by now.  By researching and trying so hard to find "the
perfect school," I only shot myself in the foot.

(But I've had the privilege to work with some amazing people.)
:-)
Deanya