[Air-L] Technology and authority: Graduate programs

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 17:34:37 PDT 2008

Dear AIR-ers -

Thanks for everyone's perspective on graduate school,
and we've had a lot of personal stories to back up our
experiences, both good and bad.

I found those who attend AoIR's Doctoral forums come
away much more well informed about their topics and
how to manage their research efforts as well. Further,
there are always tips & tricks to be gleaned from
other post-grads about the essential topic of
"supervisor management" !!!

There are plenty of blogs out there to read about the
experience, I was most impressed by the blog entitled
"Bitch PhD" presented at the academic blog session at
AoIR in Brisbane (thanks to Jean Burgess and Mel
Gregg,among others).

What I found most essential is the weekly face-to-face
meeting with my supervisor (eloquently stated by
Jonathan Sterne). He wasn't in my discipline, but he
was "willing" and he was "there". Despite some
hiccups, we got there in the end. While the american
system is completely different and relies on
coursework, the fact remains: some supervisors like
having students, and some don't!

In my experience, that is the essential question, and
any remaining issues can be surrmounted in other ways.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Internationalisation Project Officer
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Office: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Presenter, Internet Research 9.0, 15-18 October 2008, Copenhagen, DK

www.yahoo7.com.au/mail