[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1 (Open Source Literature)

Gabriella Coleman biella at nyu.edu
Sat Nov 1 15:22:20 PDT 2008

Hi Angela,

I would check out Two Bits: The Cultural Significance of Free Software
by Chris Kelty, which is probably the most detailed treatment of Free
Software to date. The history chapters are phenomenal and really provide
a new way of looking at the conditions that helped give rise to F/OSS.

And even better, you can do so immediately as the book can be viewed and
downloaded for free here:

http://twobits.net/  (it is under a CC license) and of course purchased
as well (and the book can be modulated as well!)

Similarly, David Berry has also provided one of the richest accounts
(though focused more on political questions) in his new book:

http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=211422

I am also teaching a course on hackers this semester and there are a few
pieces on F/OSS on the syllabus:

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/uploads/002/321/Coleman-Hackers-ILA-Fall-2008-Final.pdf

Though I have not had a chance to read it (but soon will), Tim Jordan
raises F/OSS in relationship to hacking in his new book
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacking-Digital-Media-Technological-Determinism/dp/0745639720).

And it is also the relationship between hacking and F/OSS that I
address in this article, co-written with Alex Golub
http://ant.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/8/3/255).

All best,
Gabriella

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:33:59 +0200
> From: "Sharon Haleva Amir" <sharon at trebcon.com>
> Subject: Re: [Air-L] Open source literature
> To: <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>
>
> Hi Angela, you may want to get in touch with Dr. Gabriella Coleman from NYU.
> Lately she worked on a book dealing with hackers as well as the free and
> open source software. As an anthropologist she has an interest in the open
> source programmers' community, their motives and aims.
> This is her webpage -
> http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/faculty_bios/view/Gabriella_Coleman
> Good luck, Sharon
>

> Best Wishes,
> Sharon Haleva Amir, HCLT Fellow
> )PhD Candidate) Faculty of Law,
> University of Haifa, ISRAEL.

Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
Department of Media, Culture, & Communication
New York University
239 Greene St, 7th floor
NY NY 10003
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/mcc/