[Air-L] assigning wikipedia

Jason Mittell jmittell at middlebury.edu
Tue Nov 11 08:20:03 PST 2008

David (et. al.),

I've assigned Wikipedia editing as part of my new media course, giving
students the freedom to choose their area of expertise. I blogged
about the results and students' impressions of the process at http://justtv.wordpress.com/2007/03/16/wiki-lessons
  .

One of the problems with Wikipedia's own catalogue of academic
assignments is that the guide to WP writing insists on objective
neutrality, whereas reflecting on pedagogy & process is inherently
subjective - thus the list of assignments offers no self-reflection on
the process, making it difficult to discern whether the project was
worthwhile or worth emulating.
-Jason

--
Jason Mittell, Associate Professor of American Studies and Film &
Media Culture