[Air-L] assigning wikipedia

Jennie Hwang jmhwang at calpoly.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:42:30 PST 2008

Hi

I'm teaching Media Effects and using the Blackboard wiki tool for
student group projects. The Blackboard wiki does not work like
Wikipedia, but utilizes similar ideas of "open space" and "group
collaboration." The Blackboard wiki is not public, and only enrolled
students have access to it. However, this tool allows students to use
this work space to create and construct their own research content
with regard to a particular media effects topic (e.g., effects of
violence and sex, agenda setting, cultivation, U&G, effects of new
media, etc.). Apparently my students don't actively use wiki, blogs,
podcasts before taking this class, we spent a lot of time to learn
the basic functions, give each other critiques,  and gradually
develop the content to have a better focus and organization.

However, most of them enjoy the "learning by doing" practice and find
the wiki project useful and interesting.

jennie hwang

assistant professor, communication
cal poly, san luis obispo