[Air-L] in defense of wiki vandalism....

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 22:35:34 PST 2008

Just a small correction... Brion Vibber is far from a former editor;
he's actually the current CTO of the Wikimedia Foundation, responsible
for technical maintenance of the servers and MediaWiki. He's made
comments in the past about how Wikipedia is like a giant MMORPG for
some users -- but it's as someone intimately familiar with how
Wikipedia works inside and out.

My own view is of course Wikipedia is entertaining to work on --
that's a big part of why so many people devote so many hours to it.
But you are very right that those people are self-selected. On the
other hand, the argument can be made that academics (and everyone,
really) should have a responsibility to help keep up Wikipedia in
their subject area. When students work on Wikipedia they have the
potential to mess around in the real world and cause difficulties for
the site, but also to make more of a difference than they would with
any assignment like a paper that would never leave the classroom. That
can be inspiring to many students. It just takes a lot of preparation
on the part of everyone involved (see the Murray essay I posted in my
last message).

-- Phoebe