[Air-L] Imagined communities

Philippa Smith philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
Thu Nov 27 17:58:55 PST 2008

I'm seeking out references to Benedict Anderson's theory of "imagined communities" in relation to the Internet and how new technologies enable the construction of national identities.  Certainly this is mentioned in  Ananda Mitra's chapter "Virtual Commonality: Looking for India on the Internet"  in Virtual Culture edited by Steven Jones and in S. Jones' chapter in the same book "The Internet and its Social Landscape.   Mark Poster (1999)  National Identities and Communications Technologies in The Information Society 15:4, 235-240 is another reference.  But if there are any other references where people apply the theory in their research or discuss it please let me know.

Many thanks.

Philippa Smith
PhD Candidate
Institute of Culture, Discourse & Communication
AUT University
Auckland
New Zealand