[Air-L] assigning wikipedia

Maria E.Gonzalez gonzalez at ischool.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 12 15:33:24 PST 2008

a wiki tool in Bb? what is it called?
how did I miss that?
is that a special add-on?

--
Maria E. Gonzalez
gonzalez at ischool.utexas.edu

Quoting Jennie Hwang <jmhwang at calpoly.edu>:

 Hi

 I'm teaching Media Effects and using the Blackboard wiki tool
 for
 student group projects. The Blackboard wiki does not work like
 Wikipedia, but utilizes similar ideas of "open space" and
 "group
 collaboration." The Blackboard wiki is not public, and only
 enrolled
 students have access to it. However, this tool allows students
 to use
 this work space to create and construct their own research
 content
 with regard to a particular media effects topic (e.g., effects
 of
 violence and sex, agenda setting, cultivation, U&G, effects of
 new
 media, etc.). Apparently my students don't actively use wiki,
 blogs,
 podcasts before taking this class, we spent a lot of time to
 learn
 the basic functions, give each other critiques,  and gradually
 develop the content to have a better focus and organization.

 However, most of them enjoy the "learning by doing" practice
 and find
 the wiki project useful and interesting.

 jennie hwang

 assistant professor, communication
 cal poly, san luis obispo