[Air-L] students on wikipedia

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 11 08:31:04 PST 2008

I've had similar experiences as others on the list.

Given my now-notorius WikiWarrior piece, which we discussed in class (and
which I am editing in the next few days following Phoebe's* and others'
suggestions), I asked 3rd year students whether they wanted lessions in
Wikipedia editing.

Only 2/80 bit, altho one was especially motivated, as her family is in WP.

My feeling is that a better approach is not to suggest the creation of an
article, but to find your favorite subjects (dare I say rock bands,
movies) and put them on your "watchlist" so you can see and respond to
changes.

To get a watchlist, I think you must register. But registration (you come
up with an alias, such as "AOIRian", is just about the only way that other
WP editors will take you seriously.

To learn this and more, get hold of Phoebe's new book. (NOte: COI: I have
a blurb on the back):

How Wikipedia Works: And How You Can Be a Part of It

Phoebe Ayers, Charles Matthews, and Ben Yates.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Wikipedia-Works-You-Part/dp/159327176X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226420988&sr=8-1

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963

  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php