[Air-L] JRuby -- what an awful name

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Nov 22 11:44:00 PST 2008

Today is the 45th anniversary of the assassination of President JFK.
As you may recall, Lee Harvey Oswald supposedly shot JFK, and Jack Ruby
shot LHO 2 days later.

I'd find the name JRuby loathsome on any day, but yesterday I came across
a programming language with that name.
"JRuby is an 100% pure-Java implementation of the Ruby programming
language."     http://jruby.codehaus.org/

The Codehaus Foundation is an open-source group.

I do suppose that those who did this knew the connotations. Ah, coder
youth. But didn't somebody tell them?

I still grieve 45 years later, but now I have hope.

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963

  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php