[Air-L] assigning students their college/university wikipedia page

Cristina Lopez clopez at umn.edu
Tue Nov 11 11:38:34 PST 2008

A friend of mine told me about a her experience with Wikipedia and
plagiarism. The student's paper, which was turned in /very/ late after
many extensions, seemed a little funny to her. She looked into it, and
found passages lifted straight from Wikipedia. His defense: he claimed
he actually wrote the Wikipedia entry in question and therefore was only
quoting himself.  I then explained to her how Wikipedia worked and made
sure to show her the history tab.

Cris

Cristina Lopez, Ph.D.

Office of Information Technology, Digital Media Center

University of Minnesota

212 Walter Library

117 Pleasant St. SE

Minneapolis, MN 55455