[Air-L] Late Breaking News: Businesses Embracing Online Social Networks

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Wed Nov 5 10:16:42 PST 2008

Colleagues/

Within the past week or so I have discovered three (3) major
reports/studies on the adoption of Online Social Networks by Businesses;
These have been profiled in my Friends blog and are available
individually at:

[1] AMI Partners Study: Small Businesses Embrace Social Networking In
The U.S.
<http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/11/ami-partners-study-sma
ll-businesses.html>

New York, New York-November 3, 2008-More than 600,000 small businesses
(SBs, or companies with up to 99 employees) in the United States will
deploy integrated social networking services in the next 12 months-up
from about 300,000 currently, according to the latest study by New
York-based Access Markets International (AMI) Partners, Inc.

[ http://tinyurl.com/6yo8az ]

[2] Harnessing the Power and Potential of Social Networks
<http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/10/harnessing-power-and-p
otential-of.html>

This report will help you:

- Make use of social networks in your own organization for internal and
customer-facing applications
- Explore the key characteristics of successful social networking sites
- Determine which approach to take when creating your social network
- Consider new value-added features and services that will be
competitive differentiators for your social network
- Gain an understanding of the staggering valuation of sites such as
Facebook
- Create a trusted social network environment
- Identify some of the privacy and security problems encountered by
users
- Appreciate the draw of social networks for the individual, including
the desire to develop ones own social capital for personal and
professional goals
- Leverage social network analysis and the 'social graph'
- Identify how IT can help address the risks and challenges of social
networks

[ http://tinyurl.com/6ynb7j ]

[3] Network Citizens: Power And Responsibility At Work

Bringing together in-depth case studies of six organisations, Network
Citizens maps the key fault-lines that people and organisations will
have to address in the future world of work. Not doing so puts at risk
the very qualities we had invested in them: openness, innovation,
collaboration and meritocracy. Since networks can act for good or ill,
incubating the talents and ideas of the many, or promoting the interests
of the few, the need for a new set of responsibilities is growing. If we
are network members, we must be network citizens, too.

[ http://tinyurl.com/6rks5d ]

If (More) Businesses Recognize The Benefits Of Online Social Networks,
Why Not (More) Libraries?

Enjoy!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]