[Air-L] assigning students their college/university wikipedia page

Darren Purcell dpurcell at ou.edu
Mon Nov 10 15:17:42 PST 2008

Hello all,

I have offered the assignment to students in my Political Geography course
over the last 2 years. To date I have had only one person out of 130
students do it. He took on a controversial topic and found himself defending
his work as it was being changed and edited a great deal.

My theory as to why more students did not take it on is that they don't see
themselves as producers of knowledge yet.  I can not confirm this, nor have
I asked why they do not. I just see looks of horror on their faces at the
suggestion .

Darren Purcell