[Air-L] Imagined communities

erin jonasson erinjonasson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 18:47:10 PST 2008

Hi Philippa,

It's a bit hazy now, but I believe that Lynn Stephen uses the idea of
imagined communities in her chapter on Internet communications and website
creation (chapter 7, I think) in *Transborder Lives: Indigenous Oaxacans in
Mexico, California and Oregon* (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2007).
You might also try Sarah Green, Penny Harvey, & Hannah Knox's article
"Scales of Place and Networks: An Ethnography of the Imperative to Connect
through Information and Communication Technologies" from *Current
Anthropology* 46(5) 2005 or José Luis Benítez' "Transnational Dimensions of
the Digital Divide among Salvadorean Immigrants in the Washington DC
Metropolitan Area" from *Global Networks* 6(2) 2006, although I think that
he builds upon Arturo Escobar more than Anderson.  There are a
million others floating between my ears but I'm absolutely positive that
you'll receive more than enough suggestions by the time this thread ends!

Cheers,
Erin